Skip to main content

Hot Tea: Google Changes Name to Alphabet





photocredit: google.com
Google Inc, the $US445 billion search advertising giant, shocked the corporate world this morning when it announced a sweeping overhaul of its business and a (rather nauseating) re-brand of its corporate entity.  
On the stock exchange, what was once Google will henceforth be known as Alphabet. Google, the thing you use to search for stuff, will be still be known as Google, but is now just one of Alphabet's many businesses. 
The company will continue to operate as Google in most of the important ways, including the search engine that made it one of the world's biggest companies. But it will operate a holding company named 'Alphabet', announced after stock markets closed.


Alphabet will include not just Google but the company's huge array of other operations. That includes it's life sciences operations, for instance, which is working on a special smart contact lens.
Splitting the company up and rearranging it under a new name will allow each of those different businesses to be run by different bosses, the company said. It will also allow it to report each of those businesses' results separately.
The company also said that its re-organisation would help it concentrate on its more speculative, experimental work.

photocredit: google.com


"Alphabet will also include our X lab, which incubates new efforts like Wing, our drone delivery effort," the company wrote in its announcement. "We are also stoked about growing our investment arms, Ventures and Capital, as part of this new structure."
Sundar Pichai, who before ran most of Google's most important products, will become its CEO. (Pichai had been rumoured to be in the running for the vacant position of Twitter CEO.)
Larry Page wrote in a blog post that the company has "long believed that over time companies tend to get comfortable doing the same thing, just making incremental changes.
"But in the technology industry, where revolutionary ideas drive the next big growth areas, you need to be a bit uncomfortable to stay relevant."

Referencing Google's 2004 commitment to not become a "conventional company", Page wrote that Google "is operating well today, but we think we can make it cleaner and more accountable. So we are creating a new company, called Alphabet.
"I am really excited to be running Alphabet as CEO with help from my capable partner, Sergey, as President."
Google will continue to trade under its existing stock market symbols, GOOG and GOOGL. The company's shares were up over 5 per cent in after hours trading, following the post-close announcement.
All of the existing Google shareholders will see their stock automatically changed to the new company, Alphabet.




Read  More:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIVING IN LAGOS CHRONICLES BY YOURS TRULY

Its been a minute yeah, I know and I've missed you. After a conversation with some friends, I finally got inspired to write about one of my Living in Lagos Chronicles. As much as every memory of this incident surprises me, I find a reason or two to laugh real hard and even consider acting...lol. The initial plan on this fateful morning was to go to work as usual but then that bad angel whispered evil thoughts of where I could go to and would have more fun (unholy) obviously, #imnosaint!. So I changed routes and headed to ........... story for another day. I had enough opportunities to change my mind because I was so unlucky from the very beginning. First, I had to sit in a bus for 2 good hours trying to wait for passengers and of course they never came. I got impatient, got off the bus and went to some other bus stop. Luckily I found one, it took me to Costain. At least I was a bit close to my destination, Surulere. Then I began to wait again at the Costain ...

My Two Kobo Thoughts Thursday for Lovers

How this gist with my colleague and I at work started I don't know but It inspired me to write this. So we were watching a political rally and we noticed one of the prominent people present was busy grinning at his mobile phone while his wife, the first lady of that state was smiling cheerfully while waving the party's flag. My colleague at work concluded that he was probably sexting his bae and couldn't be bothered about the stupid rally anyways. He probably couldn't wait to jet off to meet his bae already. I was amazed at her thought and I argued that he was probably tweeting about the rally, checking updates and reading news online. She disagreed o! She said the average black man is a cheat as long as he has roots from Africa. So I allowed her continue, and she explained that she had heard so many reasons why men cheat and she can only blame the girlfriends or wives. This reminded me of a friend (Tomiwa) that became a serial cheat overnight. His reason.... h...

How Long, Is Too Long?

I got a lot of  feedback  concerning my previous post on standards ; one very interesting question in one of the mails asked how long a relationship should last before it tolls the marriage road. This question is not alien to many of us especially those in committed, marriage-bound relationships. It has been asked over and over again and I’m not sure if it will stop coming up in several discussions every now and then; this is because people are starting relationships per second while some are still growing. It’s quite surprising that this thought pattern is often times linked to the ladies, especially when they hit their late twenties or early thirties. It becomes a topic among single sisters when they get to attend weddings almost every Saturday or have to congratulate a friend who just got engaged.  Dele said “I wonder why my girlfriend expects me propose to her now because all her friends are getting married or getting engaged already.I think its when...