Skip to main content

#MyHustle : Tennie Phillips


In recent times, many will agree that the average privileged Nigerian Youth has more than one job, hustle or stream of income. Many reasons are said to have led to this trend such as personal/ individual circumstance, environmental or market related opportunities and lastly, societal/cultural factors.
Interestingly, some say they became business owners generally because, their regular 9 - 5 wasn't sufficient to afford them the lifestyle they desire. For others, its an escape route to pursuing their passion especially when their main source of income pays well but isn't fulfilling and lastly, for another stratum, its for recognition. Above all, many have embraced entrepreneurship and are pushing boundaries with it.

 Everyday from now, on this blog, stories of different creative and innovative young Nigerian entrepreneurs, home and in diaspora will be shared. Essentially to promote entrepreneurship and motivate others yet to make that Bold Step. Today we feature Tennies Touch.

Tennie Phillips is an IT Consultant and a makeup artiste. She is the founder of Tennies Touch Makeup artistry and she shares her story.


What motivated you into makeup:

To be honest, those that know me from way back can attest to the fact that I wasn't your everyday 'girly' girl...I will say curiosity led me to this line. I pick up a magazine and I'm stunned by how the individual's eyes look or how rich the colors applied on her lips look etc. During my NYSC, I bought a brush set and some products to try 'recreating' all I've had locked in my head. I looked like a circus clown when i was done but deep down I felt a genuine sense of excitement and knew that I had to keep trying, go to a proper makeup school and keep practicing and I will get better.
How long have you been doing makeup? I can confidently say 4years.
 
What's the biggest/most memorable moment for you?
When 2 of my secondary school mates called me out of the blues to do their traditional wedding makeup...and 2012 when i participated during the arise fashion week as a makeup artist with House of Tara...I met and made friends with amazing people who are still my friends till today. We have supported and encouraged each other to do better and be better.



What should we look out from your stables?
Plans are still in the pipeline but will be shared once everything falls in place.
To contact Tennies Touch, her facebook page is Tennies Touch Makeover and her instagram page is @tenniestouch.



Comments

Unknown said…
Go Teni! Kudos
Febi said…
Nice one , Teni and Tara. May God continue to bless our hustle.
Unknown said…
Go Tenny,go Tenny go.Am proud of u sis.keep the flag flying.Thanks Tara for bringing up such an artiste
Taraspace said…
Thanks ladies...

Popular posts from this blog

LIVING IN LAGOS CHRONICLES BY YOURS TRULY

Its been a minute yeah, I know and I've missed you. After a conversation with some friends, I finally got inspired to write about one of my Living in Lagos Chronicles. As much as every memory of this incident surprises me, I find a reason or two to laugh real hard and even consider acting...lol. The initial plan on this fateful morning was to go to work as usual but then that bad angel whispered evil thoughts of where I could go to and would have more fun (unholy) obviously, #imnosaint!. So I changed routes and headed to ........... story for another day. I had enough opportunities to change my mind because I was so unlucky from the very beginning. First, I had to sit in a bus for 2 good hours trying to wait for passengers and of course they never came. I got impatient, got off the bus and went to some other bus stop. Luckily I found one, it took me to Costain. At least I was a bit close to my destination, Surulere. Then I began to wait again at the Costain ...

My Two Kobo Thoughts Thursday for Lovers

How this gist with my colleague and I at work started I don't know but It inspired me to write this. So we were watching a political rally and we noticed one of the prominent people present was busy grinning at his mobile phone while his wife, the first lady of that state was smiling cheerfully while waving the party's flag. My colleague at work concluded that he was probably sexting his bae and couldn't be bothered about the stupid rally anyways. He probably couldn't wait to jet off to meet his bae already. I was amazed at her thought and I argued that he was probably tweeting about the rally, checking updates and reading news online. She disagreed o! She said the average black man is a cheat as long as he has roots from Africa. So I allowed her continue, and she explained that she had heard so many reasons why men cheat and she can only blame the girlfriends or wives. This reminded me of a friend (Tomiwa) that became a serial cheat overnight. His reason.... h...

How Long, Is Too Long?

I got a lot of  feedback  concerning my previous post on standards ; one very interesting question in one of the mails asked how long a relationship should last before it tolls the marriage road. This question is not alien to many of us especially those in committed, marriage-bound relationships. It has been asked over and over again and I’m not sure if it will stop coming up in several discussions every now and then; this is because people are starting relationships per second while some are still growing. It’s quite surprising that this thought pattern is often times linked to the ladies, especially when they hit their late twenties or early thirties. It becomes a topic among single sisters when they get to attend weddings almost every Saturday or have to congratulate a friend who just got engaged.  Dele said “I wonder why my girlfriend expects me propose to her now because all her friends are getting married or getting engaged already.I think its when...