Skip to main content

Ruth: Episode 1



Statistics show that 3% of single women of marriageable age in Nigeria are undisturbed by their lack of a spouse! The other 97% would do just about anything to become Mrs Somebody! Is this data this valid??? 
This is a story of just one single lady and not meant to represent all. RUTH, Chronicles of being a singleton in Lagos.

It was a boring Sunday afternoon and I just got in from church after a long meeting with other young individuals. Esther and her boyfriend, Dennis, of so many years called to inform me they’d be visiting. Not a bad idea as long as they don’t expect me to cook for them. I can be a bad host sometimes, I agree, and entering the kitchen to conjure a magic portion called food isn’t my favourite pastime activity so bear with me.  Anyways, they came not too long after the call and it had me thinking they were probably around the corner and the call was just to check if I was home. I served them drinks and cookies, ‘that should do’, I said to myself.  And all was going well till Dennis asked the most dreaded question at this point in time.

“Ruth, so how’s your boyfriend? Last time I had about him, Esther told me you people were talking marriage. Has he proposed already, what’s new?” Dennis asked.

What in God’s name is wrong with this man, how does my love life affect the price of diesel in Nigeria, how does it change the present dilapidating state of the economy, how does it return the missing money to the treasury, will it stop Boko Haram from causing further havoc. I mean, that’s why it’s my love life and has no business whatsoever in public domain? So guess what I did.

“Dennis, don’t you think it’s time you took my friend to the altar, why are you stalling? Esther, what is this man waiting for?”

Fire for fire, just the way I like. How dare him. Pot calling kettle black. This man has being dating friend for close to 10 years now and he hasn’t deemed it fit to pop the question or marry her without the whole proposing on Eiffel tower theatrics.  And he’s asking me about my affair, if not for the fact that my very good friend will be insulted, I would have given it to him the Ruth Pearse style.

Esther replied “We are taking it slow”… and I almost fainted.

“Taking what slow, a relationship of over 10 years, you must be joking right.”  Notice how I swiftly made the topic of discussion about them. My private life remains private, C’est fini.

So I asked her further, “What exactly are you taking slow?”

I know we are in an age where marriage is not considered as the Holy Grail and its common place that not everyone will get married. There are other achievements asides getting married and having kids and building home and passing a legacy on the kids and and and, right? But what I have a problem with is being in a relationship for that long with no signs of taking it to the next level. I haven’t had the best of relationships so far but I doubt if I have the patience to stay that long with a man, not even the men we have around these days. Ko jo Mehn!!!

“I’m not, we just feel marriage might take away the friendship we’ve spent years building. Marriage has a way of making everything monotonous” Esther added.

She possibly couldn’t be serious, right? What has Dennis done to my friend?  “So, it’s safe to say you might never ever get married? Will you have kids?” I queried.

“We will eventually have kids and all but that’s when we are expended all our choices and feel the next big things is to get married, we will. For now, we are still trying to discover ourselves. We have that agreement and we are cool with” Dennis said.

Call me old-fashioned, I agree. I still believe in marriage and everything it stands for. I also don’t think a girl should date a man longer than five years unless for very salient reasons. Dennis and Esther to me seem to be in a bubble of their own. But then, who am I, what do I know. It’s their cup of tea and I wonder why I’m drinking it for them. Abeg, whatever rocks their boat, I soliloquized.

After a long chat about the new president and his leadership style in the past few months, how many government corporations are beginning to conform, how I personally think Nigerians should give Buhari a break and allow the man serve without dolling so called wise suggestions, he needs a clear mind. We had a heated argument, drank more alcohol till we finished a bottle of vodka. It was dark by then and they had to leave. I had to prepare for the next day as well. 

Tomorrow is another day as we Nigerians like to say, I’ll catch you again…
Disclaimer: names used were formed from the author's imagination and not real.
PHOTOCREDIT: www.google,com

Comments

Unknown said…
Lol...ebun I know this sub....lips sealed tho.

Popular posts from this blog

Venting Tuesday : Convo With A Scammer

When will these scammers learn? Yes, scammers!!! Ever got a text message from a weird number telling you you have just won a large sum of money courtesy a popular brand? Or, perhaps, a strange phone-call from 'a long lost relative, friend, old school mate' and everything in between telling you how much he/she has missed you and would love to see you again after so many years ...blah-blah-blah Apparently, those examples I gave fall under the electronic type of duping (scam), other types of the electronic duping include email advanced fees, plishing . The face to face duping is another type of scam. Here, the fraudsters come to their victim in person, inviting them to participate in a too good to be true deal. They tell the victim he need not worry about money anymore because the deal they are offering will save him from being financially handicap for life. They even engage their victim in a discussion depending on the type of deal involved. The term 'scammer' is a

‎Inspirational Bites with Seun Sanni: BLESSED IS THE HAND THAT GIVES

"Responsibility is the only solution to the war that is ongoing around the world. We all have to be responsible for one another most especially with our giving. When you give, you're automatically saying no to poverty and if poverty is eradicated from the land no one will think of going to blow him or herself up for a cup of rice. I plead with you leaders of churches, I want you to please teach the true doctrine of love not how to benefit church only, but also outer world. How will you preach Jesus Christ, the prince of peace when the environment of the church you reside is without peace?

Game or Simply Lame

I was having one of my chitchat moments with a close friend and the topic 'Standards' was raised. It was then I realized that many dating couples have too high standards they expect of each other thus many single people or broken marriages. Everyone has standards,they keeps us motivated to do our best, but often times these standards cause undue stress. Some often impose their standards on their loved ones; this is a new source of stress and frustration for partners who feel they cannot meet these expectations. I'm not saying standards are not good or unhealthy in relationship, I only think it shouldn't determine how much or how far the relationship should go. It also shouldn't be a criterium to determine if the relationship will lead to marriage but then again who is to blame? The partner with unattainable standards or the one who isn't truthful to him or herself and believes these standards can be reached.