Skip to main content

Venting Tuesday: Respect Ko, Respect Ni.....Mschew!!!

Since when did marriage become a criterion to weigh how one should be respected? Why are women always against themselves? Is being respected a birthright or should be earned?

One of the things I find interesting about being a Nigerian lady is that we are respectful or perhaps seem to be.  The average Nigerian female is so keen about respect that even among her committee of friends, she expects that someone she's probably three years older than must refer to her as 'Aunty' or 'Sister' and never call her by her first name. I personally think this is very archaic.

I once had a girl tell me I ought to respect her because we are not on the same level any longer now she's married and has a child. To think this is someone I knew before she acquired marital status and became a mother.


I totally understand that respect has several interpretations in different parts of the world and even in the different parts of our nation. Generally, respect is an acknowledgement of an individual, the space and occupation such individual occupies. This means everyone has his own space and should be treated with regard. Sadly, in Nigeria, space doesn't matter much when talking about respect. The defining term is position : office, class, wealth, marital status, children, etc I'll give you an example to chew on.

I remember when my mum told a neighbor's daughter not to call me by my first name because i'm five years older than her. The girl narrated the instruction to her father, he called me as well and categorically spelt it out that his daughter and I are contemporaries, thus, she will call me by my name. I quite understood the man's position so I just apologized. Fast forward and five years after, he's requesting I call his eldest daughter who is two years older  'Aunty'....Mschew!!!

I'm all about women and will give an arm or a leg to fight for my gender but what I have realized is that most women don't sincerely love themselves. Everyone is trying to outdo the other like there is  hidden competition somewhere. This might just be the reason why some women in the same committee demand to be accorded with a certain level of respect just because they suddenly become prominent in the society.
Why are the men not bothered by such? or at least most men with an exemption of a few that choose to be petty.  The average man is more interested about how to impact his life, his immediate family and everything in between. 

Someone once told me that in Nigeria, the tribe that places an unbelievable emphasis on respect is the  Yoruba but I kid you not if I tell you its simply a Nigerian thing. I was in midst of some girls (all from the eastern part of Nigeria) the other day when I heard the most hilarious statement ever. A gathering of wives and soon to be wives of the same friends (the men) when I was told as the youngest in their midst, I should accord a certain level of respect to the married or engaged ones among them. I just couldn't laugh, I was too upset to.


Finally, I find that those who clamor with the bells and whistles for respect especially among women are those that deserve it the least. I give everyone, young and old, male or female, a modicum of respect. Its not a big deal to me, its only ethical but you best be worthy of my respect especially if you fall under my contemporary in position, age, class or status. The idea of respect on the basis of age or status is what enables degrading amongst the womenfolk and the country at large.


...Respect is earned, not demanded...



Feel free to share your comments with me,I'll be glad. Don't forget to share as well.









Comments

quiet006storm said…
my sister please tell them o. nice piece
Anonymous said…
Take it easy. This is one of those things u see and experience in life but then respect is reciprocal. Whoever wants your respect should respect you first.
A friend of mine told me to call her aunty cos she's married and I'm not. Her words "we are no longer mate. I'm married now. U've to respect me and starts calling me aunty". The funny is this lady and I are age mate. Because of that we stopped being friends.
Even those whom u are older than expect u to call them aunty cos they got married before and act as if marriage is a criterion for earning respect.
Bottom line: respect is earned and not demanded.
'lawunmi said…
e ma bibu ma. some pples lives just wont be complete without someone/some people siring and maing dem.
Lipglossmaffia said…
The girl is just a gbef abeg! Just delete her from your memory, you don't need those type of people in your life.

Popular posts from this blog

LIVING IN LAGOS CHRONICLES BY YOURS TRULY

Its been a minute yeah, I know and I've missed you. After a conversation with some friends, I finally got inspired to write about one of my Living in Lagos Chronicles. As much as every memory of this incident surprises me, I find a reason or two to laugh real hard and even consider acting...lol. The initial plan on this fateful morning was to go to work as usual but then that bad angel whispered evil thoughts of where I could go to and would have more fun (unholy) obviously, #imnosaint!. So I changed routes and headed to ........... story for another day. I had enough opportunities to change my mind because I was so unlucky from the very beginning. First, I had to sit in a bus for 2 good hours trying to wait for passengers and of course they never came. I got impatient, got off the bus and went to some other bus stop. Luckily I found one, it took me to Costain. At least I was a bit close to my destination, Surulere. Then I began to wait again at the Costain ...

My Two Kobo Thoughts Thursday for Lovers

How this gist with my colleague and I at work started I don't know but It inspired me to write this. So we were watching a political rally and we noticed one of the prominent people present was busy grinning at his mobile phone while his wife, the first lady of that state was smiling cheerfully while waving the party's flag. My colleague at work concluded that he was probably sexting his bae and couldn't be bothered about the stupid rally anyways. He probably couldn't wait to jet off to meet his bae already. I was amazed at her thought and I argued that he was probably tweeting about the rally, checking updates and reading news online. She disagreed o! She said the average black man is a cheat as long as he has roots from Africa. So I allowed her continue, and she explained that she had heard so many reasons why men cheat and she can only blame the girlfriends or wives. This reminded me of a friend (Tomiwa) that became a serial cheat overnight. His reason.... h...

How Long, Is Too Long?

I got a lot of  feedback  concerning my previous post on standards ; one very interesting question in one of the mails asked how long a relationship should last before it tolls the marriage road. This question is not alien to many of us especially those in committed, marriage-bound relationships. It has been asked over and over again and I’m not sure if it will stop coming up in several discussions every now and then; this is because people are starting relationships per second while some are still growing. It’s quite surprising that this thought pattern is often times linked to the ladies, especially when they hit their late twenties or early thirties. It becomes a topic among single sisters when they get to attend weddings almost every Saturday or have to congratulate a friend who just got engaged.  Dele said “I wonder why my girlfriend expects me propose to her now because all her friends are getting married or getting engaged already.I think its when...