Skip to main content

WHEN TO DRAW THE LINE



        Hiiiiiii Guys. Hope everyone is doing great. I’m sorry for abandoning the blog for so long AGAIN. I really try to do better but it’s not that easy………thanks for the mails and comments. I decided to blog this week by all means and I’m glad to be back.

    Everyone has this friend of the opposite sex who really understands you. The two of you can talk about anything, and you do. ‘We’re just friends’ you tell yourself but your boyfriend, girlfriend, spouse might think otherwise if he or she were privy to your lingering conversations.


   There’s a saying that goes ‘there’s no smoke without fire’. Sometimes or most times this sudden ‘close for comfort’ friendship begins from the desire for:
Fulfillment:  Simply put, attention from the opposite sex feels good. It flatters us to know that we are valued, and it makes us feel attractive. After dating or being married for a time, you might begin to find reassurance in the company of a friend of the opposite sex. Having such needs fulfilled by someone other than your partner, you gradually weaken your connection with your partner. In this way, you begin to rob your partner of the attention you owe him or her. Ask yourself ‘what needs are being fulfilled by this friendship that would better be fulfilled in my relationship.

Vulnerability: Nothing comes easy, there are times you would feel neglected or unappreciated by your spouse, or may harbor resentment over an unresolved conflict. Perhaps your spouse avoids talking about such issues, leaving you frustrated and vulnerable to the attention of someone else. Some experts say shying away from discussing difficult issues can be a significant predictor of unhappiness in relationships. Ask yourself ‘is there a void in my relationship that has made me vulnerable to an inappropriate friendship?’

     If you are presently experiencing this, I've got good news for you. I realized that by giving up the illusion you have of what it would be like if you were dating the person you have close friendship with is Step1 to saving your relationship. This is because with time the platonic friendship you once had become emotional and then you begin to pit your friend’s strengths with your partner’s weaknesses – very unfair comparison, to say the least. You need to remember that the same euphoria you are feeling for this new friend is probably the same feeling you initially had for the person you are dating.

 Step2: You also need to realize the danger. Friendship with opposite sex often times lead to emotions/attachment you might not have the power to control. Gradually you start shifting the attention you give your partner to this new friend without even realizing it. 

Step3: Lastly set boundaries. The moment you realize you are becoming really fond of this new close friend and its beginning to create a gap in the relationship/ communication level you share with your spouse or posing a threat to your love life with your partner, you need to cut it off, IMMEDIATELY. The new close friend may bring all the excitement you haven’t experienced in a long time with your partner but remember he/she cant be like your partner and even the holy book says ‘The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate – Jer 17:9. Don’t fall for the flattery, attention and excitement. Turn to your partner and make things work.





   I drop my pen here………………..

      Have a great week people and remember to love, Love is God.
                                                                                                                  Peace, Love and Red lipstick.

Comments

Unknown said…
Great write-up. Keep it up!
Maxzi Maverick said…
Love Doctor! I am coming for some prescription very soon

Popular posts from this blog

LIVING IN LAGOS CHRONICLES BY YOURS TRULY

Its been a minute yeah, I know and I've missed you. After a conversation with some friends, I finally got inspired to write about one of my Living in Lagos Chronicles. As much as every memory of this incident surprises me, I find a reason or two to laugh real hard and even consider acting...lol. The initial plan on this fateful morning was to go to work as usual but then that bad angel whispered evil thoughts of where I could go to and would have more fun (unholy) obviously, #imnosaint!. So I changed routes and headed to ........... story for another day. I had enough opportunities to change my mind because I was so unlucky from the very beginning. First, I had to sit in a bus for 2 good hours trying to wait for passengers and of course they never came. I got impatient, got off the bus and went to some other bus stop. Luckily I found one, it took me to Costain. At least I was a bit close to my destination, Surulere. Then I began to wait again at the Costain ...

My Two Kobo Thoughts Thursday for Lovers

How this gist with my colleague and I at work started I don't know but It inspired me to write this. So we were watching a political rally and we noticed one of the prominent people present was busy grinning at his mobile phone while his wife, the first lady of that state was smiling cheerfully while waving the party's flag. My colleague at work concluded that he was probably sexting his bae and couldn't be bothered about the stupid rally anyways. He probably couldn't wait to jet off to meet his bae already. I was amazed at her thought and I argued that he was probably tweeting about the rally, checking updates and reading news online. She disagreed o! She said the average black man is a cheat as long as he has roots from Africa. So I allowed her continue, and she explained that she had heard so many reasons why men cheat and she can only blame the girlfriends or wives. This reminded me of a friend (Tomiwa) that became a serial cheat overnight. His reason.... h...

How Long, Is Too Long?

I got a lot of  feedback  concerning my previous post on standards ; one very interesting question in one of the mails asked how long a relationship should last before it tolls the marriage road. This question is not alien to many of us especially those in committed, marriage-bound relationships. It has been asked over and over again and I’m not sure if it will stop coming up in several discussions every now and then; this is because people are starting relationships per second while some are still growing. It’s quite surprising that this thought pattern is often times linked to the ladies, especially when they hit their late twenties or early thirties. It becomes a topic among single sisters when they get to attend weddings almost every Saturday or have to congratulate a friend who just got engaged.  Dele said “I wonder why my girlfriend expects me propose to her now because all her friends are getting married or getting engaged already.I think its when...